Growing up and to this day I’ve had skin on the oiler side. I always hated it, with brought on acne and i felt shiny all the time, terrible. Recently however I’ve learned that I will eventually like it. But I’ve been loving a whole different kind of oil.
I bought a big tub from WholePaycheck a few weeks ago. For those of you who don’t know, usually unless you like in a warmer climate coconut oil is more solid than most oils you find on the shelf. I literally let the tub (closed) sit on the bottom of my hot shower to warm up. After I’m done and towel off I use the oil as my lotion all over. and Oh My GOSH! my skin is so unbelievably soft!
Some of the benefits of coconut oil :
there is 80 of them listed on this site, but here are the top 10!
1. Moisturizer – simply scoop some out of the jar and apply all over your body, including neck and face.
2. Eye cream – apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags, and wrinkles. Use on the lids in the evening.
3. Preshave – coconut oil will prep skin for the pending damage caused by shaving.
4. Aftershave – coconut oil will help heal your skin after shaving without clogging pores.
5. Deodorant – coconut oil alone can be used as a deodorant, but even more effective in combination with cornstarch/arrowroot powder and baking soda!
6. Hair Conditioner/Deep Treatment – use as a leave in hair conditioner by applying a teaspoon of coconut oil to your ends and then running your fingers through your hair to distribute the rest! For a deeper treatment, rub in a tablespoon of coconut oil onto your dry scalp and gently work through to the ends. Put a shower cap on to prevent transfer onto bed linens and leave on overnight.
7. Hair Gel/Defrizzer – rub a little between your palms and either scrunch into hair (for curly hair) or finger comb in through from scalp to ends (for wavy/straight hair).
8. Toothpaste – there are numerous recipes out there but I just mix coconut oil and baking soda and dab a little of the mix on my toothbrush.
9. Make up remover – use a cotton swab and a dab of coconut oil and you would be amazed at how well it works!
10. Chapstick – just rub a little into lips and it not only acts as a softening agent but it also has an SPF of about 4 so you get a little protection!
No idea about many of these until I started looking it up!
However, one of my blogger friends Jennifer over at Every Day Glow turned me onto a whole new idea about oil. It’s called oil pulling. You swish oil in your mouth for 15-20 mins first thing in the morning, just like you would mouth wash.
According to oil swishing enthusiasts, the practice can:
- Improve oral hygiene signifcantly by removing bacteria, plaque and gingivitis
- Brighter, whiter teeth (it’s amazing, I promise!)
- Improve joint pain and arthritis
- Improve/eliminate migraines
- Improve sinus infections
- Improve skin conditions, such as eczema, rashes and acnes
- Improve allergies
- Improve digestive issues
- Highly detoxifiying
- Improve eyesight
- Improve mental clarity
- Increase hair growth
That is right from Jenn’s site on oil pulling (here) At first I thought she was crazy, but then I looked it up further, stuffs legit! Since I am FINALLLY on my spring break (midterms took over hence why there was no post in a while) I’m going to try it! I’ll report back in a week, at least how my teeth look and continue to report on the other benefits!
All in All, don’t be scared of oil! Its got so many benefits, embrace it!